According to a new study released by comScore, U.S. users are spending the majority of all digital media time on mobile apps. Accounting for 52% of the time spent using digital media, mobile app usage consumes more of our time than either desktop usage or mobile web browsing.
The report shows that total mobile activity including mobile browser usage accounts for 60% of time spent, while desktop-based digital media consumption accounts for the remaining 40%.
Apps are the driving force behind the vast majority of media consumption activity, accounting for 7 out of every 8 minutes. Smartphones have a slightly higher rate of app activity compared to browser at 88% usage versus 82% on tablets.
The comScore report also detailed several interesting figures related to app user behavior, noting that more than one-third of all smartphone owners download at least one app per month. The average smartphone user within this demographic downloads three apps per month. And the total number of app downloads appears to be highly concentrated within a small segment of the smartphone population — the top 7% of owners account for nearly half of all download activity in a given month.
Consumers also routinely use the apps that they download. More than 57% of smartphone users accessed their apps every single day, while 26% of tablet users did so. And 79% of smartphone users accessed apps at least 26 days per month, versus 52% for tablet users.
The report also shed light on app specific usage. An impressive 42% of all app time spent on smartphones occurs on the individual’s most used app. And almost three out of every four minutes is spent on the individual’s top four apps.
Social Networking, Games and Radio make up for nearly half of the total time spent on mobile apps, showing that mobile usage is heavily concentrated around entertainment and communication. iPhone users prefer spending time consuming media, with general news, radio, photos, social networking and weather as the highest-ranking categories. Android users prefer spending more time in search browsers and email.
The highest-ranking apps is dominated by some of the largest digital media brands, including Facebook, Google, Apple, Yahoo, Amazon and eBay. Facebook is the top app, in both audience size and share of time spent among each demographic segment.
The report also details more information about users. iPhone users have 40% higher median incomes, and engage with more applications than Android users. But Android ranks as the top smartphone operating system with 83.8 million U.S. smartphone subscribers, compared to iPhone’s estimated 67.4 million.
Latest posts by Melissa McMahon (see all)
- REPORT: TRENDS AND BENDS IN MOBILE ADVERTISING - February 3, 2015
- Opera Mediaworks at Mobile Media Summit in San Francisco - January 28, 2015
- The true value of beacons is not in the here-and-now - October 8, 2014