Today, Opera Software, Opera Mediaworks’ parent company, reported financial results for Q2 2015. Opera Mediaworks, Opera Software’s U.S.-headquartered mobile advertising subsidiary, showed strong growth for the parent company contributing 64% of Opera Software total revenues of $146 million in Q2 2015.
Here are some key numbers:
- Opera Mediaworks reported revenues of $92.9 million, up 83% over Q2 2014
- Overall Opera Software (publicly listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange) revenue was $146.2 million, up from $100.6 million year over year (45% increase). Adjusted EBITDA was $29.5 million in Q2 2015 compared to $27 million in Q2 2014.
- This quarter the Opera Mediaworks platform surpassed the billion mark in reach with 1.1 billion monthly active users (an increase of 110% quarter over quarter)
- The number of apps and websites powered by the Opera Mediaworks platform now exceeds 19,000 in Q2 2015, versus 17,000 in Q2 2014
- More than 100 million installs to the app economy with quality and scale, second only to Facebook
Opera Mediaworks also announced today the expansion of its platform to include a complete marketing automation solution to app developers. This addition will enable game and app developers to not only monetize their mobile properties to their best potential, but also drive more retention and engagement with their users.
This new offering is delivered through a new platform leveraging the assets of AdColony, Opera Mediaworks and the team from Yvolver, which recently became a part of Opera Mediaworks.
Video shows steady and robust growth
This quarter, again, Opera Mediaworks demonstrated strong growth in revenues from mobile video advertising resulting from higher pricing and margins. In Q2 2014, only 9% of Opera Mediaworks’ revenues came from video advertising, in sharp contrast to Q2 2015 where 58% of revenues came from mobile video.
Brands are increasing spending towards video driven by sectors such as CPG, Financial Services, Tech and Entertainment. Some key customer wins included Unilever, American Express, Google, ABC and Wells Fargo.
Revenues from Opera Mediaworks Instant-Play™ HD technology (from the AdColony acquisition a year ago) nearly doubled from Q1 to Q2.
Some other key performing areas for the business were:
- Global expansion continued with acquisition of Mobilike in Turkey and Opera Mediaworks APAC team showed impressive growth of 72% over Q1 2015
- Several significant initiatives established Opera Mediaworks’ position in the programmatic space with revenue from programmatic partners in Q2 increasing by 6X in two months
- The publisher platform showed promise with 14% of publisher customers bringing in more than $1 million in revenue
Continued dominance on driving app installs
Last but not the least, Opera Mediaworks continued to hold its no. 1 position as the leading mobile video platform for driving app installs in terms of quality and quantity. Working with 85% of the top grossing apps globally, the company continued to see quarter-over-quarter growth of 3X for campaigns worth $5 million and more and new account growth of 30%.
Compared to the same quarter last year, the Opera Mediaworks performance business had 79% more advertisers, and 133% more of advertisers that spent more than $1 million on the platform.
All in all, the company provided an optimistic view of the second half of the year and beyond, focused on growing its core business and overcoming challenges in slower growth segments.
“With our performance this past quarter, we continue to be the biggest independent mobile ad platform in the world – delivering strong year-over-year and quarter-over-quarter growth in revenue and profits,” said CEO Mahi de Silva. “We continue to remain optimistic for the second half of the year as we expand our portfolio of offerings and customers expand their spend towards the holiday season.”
More information on the Opera Software earnings can be found here.
Latest posts by Falguni Bhuta (see all)
- Mobile apps capture consumer attention 37 minutes a day – up 20% from the beginning of 2016 - November 21, 2016
- Opera Mediaworks delivers its 4th consecutive $100M quarter Company shows 30% YTD growth fueled by Video, Performance & Programmatic - November 10, 2016
- Top takeaways for mobile marketers from the Fall Apple event - September 9, 2016